Chincoteague-Assateague Seaside Adventure …
A Photo Journey Guide
Chincoteague and Assateague Islands: plan your first visit or relive your latest visit again and again through this photo adventure. Enjoy the sights: migratory birds; local birds such as ducks; views from the lighthouse; views of the beaches of Assateague; and of course the ever popular wild ponies. This guide captures the spirit and feeling of nature in this rural community easily reached from Washington, DC.
Where can I get this book
- Amazon (US)
- Sundial Books
Chincoteague’s Premier Book Store
4065 Main St. Chincoteague Island, VA 23336
- Buy Direct From Me.
Send me a “Contact Me” message to inquire about prices
- Amazon (Canada)
- Amazon (Mexico)
- Amazon (UK)
- Amazon (Germany)
- Amazon (France)
- Amazon (Italy)
- Amazon (Australia)
- Other opportunities will appear in the future.
(This Gallery below has seven colage pictures.)
1. The first thing you see when visiting these islands is Chincoteague. This is the residential area, and includes some interesting sights, the Sundial Book store, various hotels and other housing options, and restaurants. I recommend that you nose around to see the sights there.
2. One of the iconic elements of the islands is the Assateague Lighthouse, which can be viewed from Chincoteague and from Assateague Beach. You can climb it, and enjoy some great views from the top.
3. Another iconic sight on Assateague Island are the wild ponies. Once per year in July, the Chincoteague cowboys round up the ponies and they’re driven across the water to Chincoteague Island for health check-ups and some are sold to interested buyers. Are you interested? Other times of the year, you can see them roaming about Assateague Island, often grazing out in the marshes.
4. Of course, a big draw on Assateague Island is the beach. Some days is rough, and other days it’s calm. Many people like to swim in the ocean, some like to fish in the ocean and others like to just wander up and down the beach. Happily, there is parking available there, and shower and changing facilities in the summer.
5. A big part of both Chincoteague and Assateague are the great varieties and numbers of birds. This area is a stop over form many migrating flocks, as well as the permanent home of numerous aquatic fowl. You don’t need to work hard to find birds on either of these islands, especially near the water ways and marsh lands.
6. And the birds are active down at the beach. Some are just playing in the surf, but others are hard working ones enforcing traffic ordinances.
7. Of course plants are a big deal in these islands, providing both color and texture. There are Loblolly pines, the massive marshes full of life, and the brightly colored salt-wort.